Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Lactose Intolerant Fix

Just when I said I wanted to focus in the things that are lovely in life, my computer decided not to recognize my camera and therefor refuse all attempts to download. But it has been lovely, and I do have pictures to share whenever I get that figured out.

In the meanwhile, I have something to share with those who cannot tolerate milk. We have been going crazy trying to figure out the milk issue. Long before he met me, Gary drank milk form the bulk tank and didn't have a single problem with it. After we sold the cows, though, we started to buy milk from the store and I quickly ran into trouble. His troubles started later, and Mags was never able to drink milk, but I read several items about the issue being the pasteurization and not the milk. Apparently, there is a bacteria in milk that is necessary for the digestion of it, and pasteurization kills it. It is impossible to find raw milk to buy, since it is illegal in this state to sell it and there have been an unbalanced number of undercover set-ups on poor dairy farmers. And we don;t want to buy a cow until we figure out if it will work. Goat milk is easier to digest for everyone, and therefor the milk of choice for those with milk problems, but it is harder to make cheese and butter out of. So we had a dilemma.

I had read (and found) that lactose intolerant people could handle yogurt and aged cheese just fine, and that got me to thinking. What I finally decided to try was to get the gently pasteurized milk available from Frankferd Farms, add 1 cup whole milk yogurt per 1/2 gallon and shake vigorously, and allow to sit for 24 hours. So far, we have been able to drink it without any trouble at all (though it took some getting used to because of the mild yogurt acidity).

Just thought I'd pass that in in case anyone else needed the info. Of to spend the night in our sukkah. Chag Sameach!

8 comments:

Aelinn said...

Oh, that is clever!

I'm the same way... I can drink gobs of raw milk, but the pasteurized stuff leaves my digestion warbly. Thank you for the idea!

Anonymous said...

We have several friends that have experienced the same thing. They couldn't drink store bought milk but when they were given milk by Amish neighbors, that have cows..... that milk didn't bother them.

Unknown said...

Sounds like something to try! We are in the middle of trying to figure out some stomach issues in our family. I have read a lot about how homogenized milk is much worse for you than the pasteurization, and that is why many organic milks are "gently pasteurized" but not homogenized. Don't know if that helps or not, but just some info I have run across myself.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog, as I am just getting started. Feel free to visit me, too. www.welcomelephants.com

I am just learning more and more about Messianic Judaism (as a Christian myself) so that I can be a better witness to my Jewish friends and understand the nature of so many divisions that ought not be there. It all hinges on Yeshua, yes?

Blessings,
Leslie

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Good morning Amy! Stopped by to say hi. I pray your day is blessed.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is very interesting. Gosh, I really feel for you guys with not being about to buy unpasturized milk. I know so many lactose intolerant people who have no problem drinking and eating raw dairy. You are right, those enzymes are vitally important to the digestion of milk. I don't blame you for not wanting to get a cow unless you are absolutely certain. A cow is a lot of work. Glad you've been able to come up with a solution, even if it isn't ideal. Great work!

Swylv said...

I notice the nonhormone milk and/or lactaid or dairy ease are good too for this.

hth

Paper Baby Campaign said...

I'm glad you found a solution which works for you.

Tracy said...

I FOUND YOU!!!! Finally:-) A couple months ago I re did my blog and tried to re do my blog roll.. in that.. I lost almost all my blog friends. I thought your blogs name was mother of many so I kept looking for a blog with that name.. well, could not find that.. it finally came to me tonight out of the blue and I googled it and found you!!!!!

I hope you and your family are doing wonderful and had a wonderful Christmas and New Year as well!!