Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No-Wheat Cornbread

I had a beautiful picture of this all planned and when I returned to the kitchen the pan was empty. I guess that's as good as any review. As always, I listed the kinds of items I use, but you can use whatever you like. There will be no problem of you do not use Lactaid! This is a modified favorite for the kids who can't have wheat.

Making-it-from-Scratch Monday Very Early Tuesday

No-Wheat Cornbread
1 3/4 cups corn flour (called Masa at Sav-a-Lot)
2 tbsp shortening
1 can creamed corn (I just plug my nose while it is dumped in)
2 tbsp. butter (Earth Balance)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar (turbinado)
2 eggs
1 cup milk (Lactaid)
1 tsp lemon juice

Put butter and shortening in pan (I use cast iron) and place in oven. Preheat oven to 350* as well as cast iron skillet just until butter melts. Swish around to coat pan. Measure out the milk and add the lemon juice to it. Let sit for two minutes. Meanwhile, mix well Masa, sugar, baking powder and soda, and a pinch of salt. Add can of corn (yuck!), eggs, and soured milk. Mix together with melted butter/shortening (ideally this would be ready to add just when you need it, but the skillet does not have to be a certain temperature when mix is poured in). Bake until firm in middle and lightly brown.

We eat ours with chili, or (as I discovered) right from the pan when mom's not looking. This isn't as crumbly as regular cornbread so it works well for picnic or packed lunches.

No comments: