Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, July 7, 2008

Making it from Scratch Monday

I have never done the themed days/memes because...well, none of them ever appealed to me. But I found this one from the Humble Wife, and it is so me, so I copied it! I'm going to try the date-setting feature the Berean Wife told me about, so if you are reading this on Saturday, I did it wrong!

My first will be something fitting from the weekend- breakfast smoothies! They sell pouches that you can use to make a smoothie, but they are just sugar and poisonous artifical flavors (plus, they cost too much). If you have very sensitive teeth like me, use water instead of ice.

Breakfast Smoothie
1 cup milk (depending on who you are in this house, that can be regular, goat, or Lactaid!)
1 cup ice cubes (or 1/2 cup water)
1 cup fruit (I like to mix strawberries and bananas)
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp flax seed

Blend together until smooth. Yum! These are low calorie but still have good stuff in them.

Modified Smoothie (for those with eating disorders), the point being to get as many liquid calories into the child as possible. Liquid calories are absorbed faster and are less likely to be regurgitated later. Sorry for the eeeww factor on that, but you never know when someone else might need the info.

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
2 tbsp coconut oil or coconut milk
2 raw eggs
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Blend until smooth. This is also good for anyone recovering from a major injury/illness. I got the idea when my dad was in the burn unit in 2003. They said his body needed extra calories to heal, so they would blend Ensure with peanut butter several times a day for him. The fats are also good for skin replacement, which he was facing. With our daughter, the same was true- she needed the most calories/fats in the most readily absorable presentation, and coconut is very soothing and healing to the stomach and throat, which are damaged by bulemia.

1 comment:

a soldier's wife said...

Not reading this on Saturday :)

I'll have to try these. My daughter is not a breakfast eater at all, and lots of time doesn't want to eat until dinner. She's a healthy eater when she eats, but with her running cross country, I'd like to make sure she gets plenty of nutrients and I think she'd enjoy it and she could always drink it on the way to practice.
Thanks! I have fresh strawberries and will make this in the morning :)