Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Modified Shelves

The cupboards in my kitchen are very deep and that made them impractical. I needed to be able to get at the things in the back without knocking everything else out with my elbow. So here are the results.

This is what I did in the first cupboard. The top shelf in there comes out a good bit, so I used it for cook books and disposable tablewear. The problem was reaching the items underneath it in the back. So I went to Lowe's. I bought a piece of 1/2" plywood that was alread cut, so I didn't have to get a whole sheet. I had the dimentions for my shelf with me, so they trimmed it right there, which is nice for small projects. I also bought a handlful of 1" lath pieces, small brads, and a roller assembly for drawers. Sounds complicated, but it's not. You would recognize these things once you found them. I believe I spent $15.

I nailed the lath to the sides of the plywood piece, creating a lip to keep things from falling off. Then I attached the roller assembly to the bottom of the plywood and to the bottom of my cupboard. All done! So now I can keep my tea, coffee, straws, zip lock bags, and hot cocoa on the shelf, which now pulls out when I need something in the back.
The other cupboard was built the same, so we took the long shelf from the top, cut out a horse-shoe type middle, and re-mounted it. That cost nothing but electricity. I put the bottles on the shelf, rice cakes underneath it in the back, baby food jars under the side, and then in the middle I had somewhere for tall things, like boxes, bags of tortilla chips, and the giant bottle of oil.
This organizing can be fun!

No comments: