Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, August 4, 2008

Making it from Scratch Monday

picture (and cake therein) by Maggie ;)

Pick-a-fruit Coffee Cake
The nice part bout this is that you can use any fresh fruit or canned or frozen in the winter.

filling
2 cup fruit
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar (I use demerara)
2 tbsp. cornstarch

cake
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (or 1/3 cup honey)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup palm shortening (or equivalent)
1 egg
1/2 cup sour milk (add a tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice to milk)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

streusel
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter

If your fruit is fresh or in large pieces, start by chopping in a food processor. Add to a saucepan with water, sugar, and cornstarch. Cook until thickened. Allow to cool.

In a separate bowl, mix cake ingredients. Spread half of cake batter in a 9X9 or 8X12 pan. Pour fruit filling over cake batter, and place remaining batter on top. Sprinkle streusel over batter. Bake at 325* for about 40 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick (your baking time will depend a lot on the kind of flour used).

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Now see, that looks yummy to me, but I know if I make it for the hubby he would stare at me with a questioned look on his face and say 'you don't expect me to eat that do you'? LOL.

I bet that would taste good with some strawberries and bananas mixed together...yum yum. :-)

I hope you are having a good Monday!

God Bless,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Thats it I am coming over and eating at your place, this looks pretty yummy!! Thanks for sharing.

Jeannie

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

This looks really good and when I read through the ingredients it seemed even better. Hubby is in town today doing the Friday ministry thing and then he has to go visit his mom at the hospital and I was thinking what special can I bake for him. Then I came to this post. I think I'm going to do this one. Bless you Amy. You are full of good food for me today both spiritual and physical.
Jenn