Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Monday, August 18, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

Making-it-from-Scratch Monday

I handle stress differently than most. I generally go into shock/overdrive to get through and then when all is said and done, I cry and mourn. I also have a tendency to hold in the 'junk' and therefore end up with massive fever blisters, usually on my face. Today I have a swollen and painful lip, feel sick to my tummy, and am generally yucky. So I am making (and posting) my chicken soup recipe with a twist for sickness. Even if you don't grow/buy organic most of the time, if you are ill, it is worth the price because you don't need to add anything else for your immune system to fight. The ingredients for this batch should be garden fresh or organic.

Sick Soup
1 small chicken
6 carrots
6 sticks celery
1 white onion
1 bunch spinach or kale, diced

Start by putting the chicken in the crock pot the night before. Cover with water and add 1 tbsp. sea salt. Cook on low all night. The smell in the morning will perk you up, too. Remove the chicken and take meat from the bones. I usually reserve the breast meat for soup and leave the legs, thighs, and wings for the non-sick people to have at lunch.

Return meat to pot and add diced vegetables. Cook on high for 1-2 hours, or until vegetables are soft. Ladle into bowl, and just before eating, sprinkle with garlic granules. Garlic is really good for you, but I've noticed it loses some of its punch when cooked for long period of time, so I add it to the bowl just before eating. That way I can add extra to mine (both because I love garlic and because there are others here who aren't quite as fond of it) which makes it like liquid medicine!

I don't put in noodles or use crackers when sick because the starches will make the absorption of the minerals more difficult.

Thank you to all the dear sisters who have sent cards, emails, or called to check in on us. What a blessing to be part of such a loving and world-wide family!

2 comments:

a soldier's wife said...

(((hugs)))
I've been thinking of you and having you in my prayers!
I hope the soup helps, with medicinal as well as comfort.

Berean Wife said...

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I pray that you will quickly improve.

I understand the fever blister part, years ago my husband would know I had been talking with a particular sister when I developed a fever blister on my lip. :(

Berean Wife