Does this look familiar? Click on the comment link in any posting and leave us some feedback- we'd love to hear from you!

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Yom Kippur

I meant to put this up yesterday, and I got tired and fell asleep, so it didin't get done. September 22nd was Yom Kippur, or the day of Atonement. I have to admit that I would be kinda sad about this day if I have lived B.C. But now we have the assurance of atonement through the perfect blood of Christ, and I can't think of anything more exciting. You can read about this day in Leviticus 23:26-32:

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God. For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people. And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings. It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

It used to be such a sad day, having to make atonement for your sins all the while being aware that it was not a complete atonement. I am aflicted by my sins, and have spent the weekend reflecting on my need to be more committed to living what I ebleive is right regardless of the 'buts' (not feeling well, financial squeeze, angry children, etc.) but it is also hard to supress the joy and peace of having my sins pardoned. We know that no one comes to the father unless called by him, so the fact that I have been called makes me profoundly humbled. It is odd to think that the fact of my sins requiring justification and that I essentially am guilty of murder is such a glorious thought, but that is part fo that mystery of the walk we walk. I understand a little better Paulk's meanign when he said he would glory all the more in his infirmaties (2 Corinthians 12:9) because all it does is point right back to the overwhelming power of Christ to save us.

If you would like to mark your calendar, the date for Yom Kippur in 2008 will be October 9th.

Also coming up this week (27th) is Sukkot (tabernacle, booth, tent) when you are supposed to sleep outside to remember the years the Israelites spent in the wilderness. It is also the feast of ingathering, which is such a fun time for me because it means the work is done for the year and the winter rest is coming. It is amazing to see the food stored away and remember how the Lord has been exceedingly good to us. We are going camping to celebrate and decided to try out a new campground that is part of a Old-Fashioned themed village, which is so up my alley. So as a history major, I will enjoy the step back in time and the reminder of the people who were willing to leave everything and start over in a new country full of dangers in order to maintain religious purity. So this weekend will be like our Thanksgiving. I am very excited about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Hi, I love your blogs. You have such a heart for G-d. I'm praying for your health. We have such a good G-d that not only takes away the sin of the world but took on all infirmity, how awesome!

L'Shalom
Karin